Maybe you’ve heard that a roof is important, but do you know why? We’re here to tell you the importance of a good roof and find out how to tell if yours is in good shape — and what to do if it needs work.
What’s the Importance of a Good Roof?
Your roof stands between the interior of your home and the exterior world. If it’s in good shape, serves as a barrier against snow, hail, rain, ice, branches, and debris. If , your home can get leaks, develop mold and mildew, and experience other problems. Even a small leak in the line can cause large-scale water problems across major home systems.
A good roof enhances your home’s curb appeal, one factor in home value. If is full of moss and algae, sags, or appears decrepit, it sends a signal that your home hasn’t been kept up. If the roof is in good shape, a potential buyer can assume the rest of the house has been tended to with care. That can translate into higher prices when you sell your home.
Even if you aren’t selling your home, a good roof adds value. Looking into roofing companies near you is important. When you have a structurally sound roof, proper ventilation, and sufficient attic insulation, your home will experience fewer air leaks. You’ll be more comfortable with the air conditioner at a higher temperature, and you’ll see lower heating and cooling bills. If you care about comfort in the home, want to save money, and want to protect home value, then you need a good roof.
When to Replace Your Roof
Now that you know how important it is to have a good roof, Do you have a metal roof? are you wondering what shape yours is in? or What roofing companies are near me? While there’s no substitute for having a professional roofer inspect your roofing system, here are some signs your roof needs attention:
- Damaged or missing shingles – Damaged or missing shingles indicate worn-out . When shingles start to curl, develop cracks, or lose their granules, they cannot protect your home properly.
- Light comes through the attic – If you can see the sky from your attic, your roof has holes. Call a pro immediately to reduce water damage in the home.
- Widespread staining – Stains often indicate algae and moss damage. Algae and moss degrade shingles and may cause water damage. If the damage is widespread, your home could be compromised.
- Age – If yours is old enough to drink, it’s already exceeded its average lifespan. Asphalt roofs tend to last 20 years. The closer yours gets to 20, the more likely it is to fail. Rather than wait until this happens (and deal with the stress of emergency replacement), plan ahead.
- Another great thing to look into is metal roofing.
If you spot any of those signs, have a roofer come out. While minor problems may be repairable, in many cases it’s more practical (and cost-effective) to replace a worn with a high-quality roofing system.